Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week 2- Depth of Feild


During week 2 of commtech, we learned about how to use shutter speed and f-stops to control depth of feild. Larger apertures (smaller F-stop number) and closer focal distances produce a shallower depth of field. Fashion photographers often use depth of feild to their advantage because it helps to place only the model and his/her clothing into focus, not the background and distracting objects. I will need to fine-tune my skills in creating shallow and long focal distances to create variation in my photography. I found it quite interesting and a lot more involved when I shut the Auto Focus option off on the camera. It allowed me to get exactly the look I was trying to find. The following 2 pictures were 2 of my first shots experimenting with the lens and I actually quite liked the variety of new views I saw just by opening my mind more. I learned a lot about focusing and shutter speeds from using our manual slr film cameras. I still have yet to develope them. The first colourful photo is of the character ed painting at the front entrance. I loves the colour and the ripples of words, so I got close (photography tip) and used a unique anle to show depth of feild. I tried to make the middle of the photo  more clear than the rest to highlight the words used, such as "responsibility". The second photo, I got down to ground level and got close enough to make out the burning details of the discarded ciggarette on the sidewalk. I think I like this photo because you don't often see a smoke this way and it is mostly in focus. The subject of the photo is clear and it is off centered. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment